The Support Action Centre of Competence in Digitisation (Succeed) promotes the take up and validation of research results in mass digitisation, with a focus on textual content. These results often remain as working prototypes since their implementation in the production environment is hindered by the limited awareness of results and the lack of resources for their adaptation and development.
Succeed will improve the availability of tools and resources, foster the transfer of knowledge, the creation of research consortia and explore the role of emerging business models, funding opportunities and public-private partnerships to improve large-scale text digitisation techniques. As a result, the following impacts will be achieved:
- Optimisation of digitisation resources through fostering pooling the efforts by cultural institutions, partnership (public/private sectors) and cross-border collaboration.
- Promotion of the use of common standards for digitisation tools and data.
- Sharing of best practices to set up Centres of Competence for European innovation & research and their business models, legal forms, implementation risks, funding opportunities, standardised governance models, contracts/license agreements.
- Definition of a roadmap towards a common infrastructure of Centres of Competence in the digital libraries research area.
- Raising awareness of results in the field by organising awards, contests and events, alongside a comprehensive dissemination strategy.
The action will be implemented through the Impact Centre of Competence in Digitisation, an output of the IMPACT FP7-project which gathers and exposes digitisation tools and resources. The Centre will sustain the actions beyond Succeed since a legal entity will be substantiated and a roadmap for its long-term sustainability will be defined during the action.